Monday, November 23, 2009

Background to Frank and me.

Call me a dog, call me whatever you think is appropriate to your sense of sensibilities. Call me by my name. Frank calls me by my name all the time, "For God's sake dog get your face out of that trash."
Not much of a name, but I know it when I hear it. It sounds to me like, "How would you like that steak sir, medium or rare?"
Frank doesn't have imagination when it comes to names. He's more of a call it as he sees it at the moment, kinda guy. I love Frank. I'd defend him against all, keep him warm through the coldest night, let him pull twigs from under my armpits without biting his hand off. Frank is my guy, my clan leader, my boss.
Frank had a boss. He had a wife. Frank had kids. Frank slept on the couch at home. He slept behind his desk at work. Frank was bored. His disposition wasn't sunny. It used to be. Frank could smile, he played with the kids. We both did. Can't say as I like 'em but Frank did so I liked them too. Licked 'em mostly. Mrs Frank didn't like me licking. It wouldn't be stretching the lead too much to say that Mrs Frank didn't like too much about me. Frank's boss didn't take to me either. Didn't take to me taking to him on the strength of his open dislike of me as well. I'd come out from below where Frank was sleeping above and have a go at the bastard. Frank's boss and Mrs Frank had their dislike of me in common.
Doesn't take much to drive a wedge between folks is what I've observed. Frank didn't take much. He just walked out when he found Mrs Frank parlaying at home with the boss man. Slammed the door in my face as I ran after him. I had to race around the back, push through the cat flap, pee on the flowers, and run after him. Excitement makes me pee on the flowers. They weren't Franks kinda thing. More hers. I gave them a dosing that had me nearly loosing Frank as he was jumping on a bus.
I guess him jumping off it as it was still moving, and falling over me running beside, kind of cemented our relationship. "Bugger me dog", he cried, "I dammed near killed myself."
Frank's overly dramatic assessment of the situation was understandable. He was venturing forth into the unknown world, leaving everything he thought meant something to him behind. Including me.
"You've all I've got left mate," he said.
I hoped he had a bank card. Dogs don't live too long on remorse.

No comments:

Post a Comment